In my head, I know that you are 22 years old. In my heart, you are still, very much, my baby…
While I find it hard to come up with any TRUE Words of Wisdom for you because anyone who knows you knows YOU are WAY more mature than all of us put together there is just no way I can pass up the opportunity – one. last. time.
So here goes… my Words of Wisdom to Klarissa as she turns 22 years old (holy shit – even writing it hurts me).
1. No one but you knows what you truly need. Everyone needs people. Plain and simple. At different times of your life you will need someone; whether its us, your brothers, grandma(s) and grandpa(s), your aunts and uncles, your cousins, your friends, Bobby, or the lady at Kahns that knows exactly what you like to drink and what booth you prefer to sit in, but at the end of the day, YOU know yourself best. Try to do what is best for your health, your heart, your mind, and especially, your soul.
2. If 2020 has taught us anything its that things can change in a heartbeat. Use this year as a reminder to try and live in the moment. Whatever moment you may be in be as present as you possibly can. You just never know when things are going to change and that moment you were in will never be able to be brought back. Ever.
3. Find what it is you love and give it all you’ve got. Doesn’t matter what it is; if it brings you joy; do it. (although I still believe being a plastic surgeon will bring us ALL joy – or at the very least, make us LOOK like were joyful) but, in the end, it is and will always be YOUR decision. You are the writer of your own story. It’s your life; make it what you want.
4. Don’t take for granted all that you already have while searching for what you don’t. Never settle but also Appreciate EVERYTHING. I’m sure this one is hard to accept coming from me since the most common words in my vocabulary are “I want” but that in no way diminishes my gratitude for a beautiful sunrise, the sounds of seagulls, or a big bright moon. It’s taken me DECADES to come to this realization. Try and figure this out on your own way sooner than I did. I promise you; you will be so glad you did.
5. I would LOVE to tell you to take as many chances as you can (actually, I think I have before) and to never be afraid to speak your mind (although, lately that hasn’t really been an issue for you) but with this strange year we’ve had; I am starting to think that maybe it wouldn’t hurt to sit back and just listen – to everything – pay attention to it all, let it all soak in. Give yourself some time to process, and then, when you have it figured it out (or even if you don’t but think you might) do as I mentioned in #3…
At the end of the day; this is YOUR life to live. Fill it with as much joy and love and kindness and excitement as you possibly can. And never, ever forget that mom and dad love you with every ounce of our being. I said it the day you were born and I have said it every day since then – the moment you made your way into this world you not only completed our family, you completed me.
Enjoy your day with your friends, my baby. I cant wait to celebrate with you tomorrow! Love you to the moon and back again, mom and dad.