I cant believe you are 22 years old – and I am now considered middle-aged (OMG)
As I have done for the last several years; here are my “not so famous”
WORDS OF WISDOM
- 1. What other people think of you isn’t nearly as important as what you think of yourself. This is probably a complete contradiction to what you are used to me telling you. You know when I tell you that your language at home isn’t the same as your language when you are with your friends, and that you can’t dress for dinner the way you would if you were going out with the guys – I mean, what are people gonna think! ; well all of that still holds to be true. And at your stage in life, it’s even more important. But those are just details…. In the grand scheme of things, who really cares (aside from me – and your future boss). And, for the record, I don’t consider it so much as seeking approval as I am of “appropriateness” (Is that even a word?). My point here is – follow your heart and be true to yourself. Learn to love who you are, not who others would have you be. Do that, in a nicely pressed shirt, preferably tucked in, and all will be well in your life. THAT, I am sure of.
- 2. Real men do cry. Forget that macho bullshit that you hear amongst your frat brothers. Learn to be comfortable with your feelings, no matter what they are. Men DO cry; sometimes from joy, sometimes from pain, but sooner or later, they all do it. Holding your feelings locked inside is not healthy. Don’t be afraid to feel and do not be afraid to express those feelings; in any way, shape, or form that comes to you. I would prefer skydiving NOT be one of those ways.
- 3.Mind your own business. Gossip and mean-spirited talk about others is just bad. You and I talk about this all the time and I know you say it’s a guy thing and not a big deal- and maybe right now that’s true, but as an adult, it’s really just poor taste and bad behavior. Let others live their lives as they see fit and concentrate on living your own. Preferably in a nicely pressed tucked in shirt (i’m not giving up on that).
- 4. Having a girlfriend isn’t as important as having friends who are girls. They sure are beautiful (yes, I follow you on instagram and stalk all of the girls, too) and i’m sure they are wonderful people, but make sure to make friends with them FIRST. Talk to them, listen to them. You’ll learn more that way and chances are you’ll have a much richer relationship than one based on how she looks in some of those amazing outfits that would require surgery for me to ever even think of getting into.
- 5. On that note; Sex isn’t a game. Trust me when I tell you you won’t be any more of a man if you sleep with a ton of girls, but you will have a much bigger chance of getting one pregnant or picking up an STD along the way, I’m not naive or stupid; all im saying is that you should respect them as you would your own sister. And for god’s sake, make sure you are prepared with some form of birth control. I don’t want to have to kill you and dad and I are having way too much fun to have to stop and take care of a you and your baby mama.
- 6. Winners do quit, no matter what the cliché is. If your heart isn’t in it, then stop doing it. Don’t let anyone tell you that you cant do something, but also dont let them tell you what you SHOULD be doing. Do what makes you happy and live a life that you love. No matter what that may consist of..except skydiving.
- 7. Above all, be honest. Be honest to your friends, your enemies, your parents, and most importantly, to yourself. If you have the slightest hesitation about your actions or words, think twice. When you look at yourself in the mirror you want to be proud of yourself and the choices you’ve made. A true man takes the consequences of his actions and doesn’t try to get out of them or pretend they didn’t happen. If you make a mistake, admit it, make it right, and learn from it. You’ll always have to answer to the man in the mirror AND the man upstairs, so do yourself a favor and do right the first time.
All of us are born with something special to share with the world. Don’t listen to those who would tell you otherwise. You count. You’re amazing. You’re perfect just as you are. Don’t try to be someone or something else. Follow and trust your heart and don’t forget to Say your prayers every night and thank God for the many, many blessings that have been bestowed upon us all. Happy Birthday, my baby! Mom and dad love you to the moon and back, 22 times over.